Here’s a list of questions that company drivers will want to ask recruiters before they decide to accept the job:
1. Will I be:
(A contract driver is usually paid on a percentage basis and taxes are the responsibility of the contract driver. There also must be a contract between the company and the driver. This contract is for the IRS audits and must meet their requirements. A good way to tell is to refer to form SS8).
2. As an employee, how is my pay figured?
By the mile____ Rate____
3. If paid by the mile, how is mileage calculated?
Computer program such as PCMiler, HHG, etc.____
4. Does the company hold back the first paycheck?
If so, how long?
One week____ Two weeks____
5. Is the driver responsible for loading and unloading?
6. If not, how is the lumper issue handled?
Company contract with lumpers____
Advances for lumpers (deduct from paycheck)____
Reimbursement for lumper with receipts____
7. If driver unloads, how is payment made?
8. What is the company policy on fueling?
Driver choice of supplier____
Company choice of supplier____
Fuel Card supplied____
Driver pays & company reimburses___
9. Does the company pay for:
Multiple drops and picks____
Minor road repairs to equipment such as clearance lights, wiring, etc.____
10. How many miles per week can I expect to run? ______
11. How many days/weeks will a driver be kept out? ______
12. What is the policy on home time? ______________________________________________________
13. What benefits does the company offer?
Paid vacation ____ After how long ____ How much vacation time ____
Sick days____ After how long ____ How many sick days ____
Health/dental care ____Is family included? Yes___ No ____
Safety awards ____
Retirement plans/401K ____
Rider policy ____Company paid? Yes___ No ___ What are the age requirements? ____ Is it limited to family members only? Yes ____ No ____
Safety bonuses____ Based on: no violations/accidents ____; Customer Service ____; Feedback/complaints from general public____; On-time ____; SO&D ____; Idle time ____; On time ____ ; Fuel Mileage ____
14. Do you have forced dispatch? Yes____ No____
15. What regions does the company expect you to run? _______________________________________________; Does the company run in areas that you do not want go, such as Canada, Mexico, or NY? Yes____ No____
16. Does the company offer dedicated runs? Yes____ No ____; If yes, how do I get one? ______________________
17. Does driver work directly with brokers (hand-offs)? Yes____ No ____
18. What is the company policy on check calls (status for the day)? _______________________________________
19. Does the company allow pets in the truck? Yes ____ No ____ If so, are damage deposits required? Yes ____ No____; If so, how much? _____ Deposit return policy? ____________________________________________
20. Does company provide cell phones? Yes____ No ____
21. What kind of truck will I be driving? Year____ Make_____ Model_____
22. Can driver take the truck home? Yes ____ No ____
23. What kind of transmission? _________________________________________
24. What kind of engine? _____________________________________________
25. What kind of sleeper? _____________________________________________
26. Can I put my own chrome and lights on the truck? Yes ____ No ____
27. Are speeds governed? Yes ____ No ____ If so, governed at what speed? ____________________________
28. CB equipped? Yes ____ No ____
29. AM/FM radio/TV? Yes _____ No ____
30. Refrigerator? Yes ____ No ____
31. Qualcom? Yes ____ No ____
32. Air Ride seats? Yes ____ No _____
33. Engine Brakes? Yes ____ No ____
34. Opti-Idle? Yes ____ No ____
35. How often does company purchase new equipment? _______________________________________
36. Can I purchase my truck through the company? Yes ____ No ____ Lease/purchase plan? Yes ____ No ____ Success rate on lease/purchase? ____________________________________________________________
37. Does the company provide training? Yes ____ No ____
38. Is training paid by company? Yes ____ No ____
39. If company paid, is there a penalty if I leave the company before a specified period of time? Yes ____ No ____; If penalty, how is it calculated? ________________________________________________________________
40. What are trainer requirements? ______________________________________________________________
41. Does the trainer receive extra pay? Yes ____ No ____
42. As a trainer, will I be able to refuse to train a potential driver? Yes ____ No ____
43. Is trainer responsible for actions of trainees? Yes ____ No ____
44. What is the length of training period? _________________________________________________________
45. Will I be assigned solo after the training period? Yes ____ No ____
46. Are female trainers provided for female trainees upon request? Yes ____ No ____
47. Is there a smoking/non-smoking policy? Yes ____ No ____
48. Is an escrow, security deposit, performance bond, or any type of money held back by the company? Yes ____ No ____; If so, what is the required amount, and what is the return policy? ___________________________________
49. Is transportation provided to orientation? Yes ____ No ____
50. Motel/Food paid by company? Yes ____ No ____
51. Does the company pay for orientation? Yes ____ No ____
52. If I am disqualified or if I choose not to sign on, does the company pay for my transportation back home? Yes____ No ____
Your personal list of interview questions may grow or shrink as you determine your own requirements, but this checklist is comprehensive enough to give you a good idea of how the company operates. Include the contact person’s full name, company’s name, phone number, and date on your checklist for future reference. You may even want to ask the company recruiter to sign off on it. Don’t count on that happening, but I don’t think this would be a problem for anyone who has answered your questions honestly …do you?