Owner-Operators with Authority
Your own authority. Your own business. Your own insurance.
You must protect yourself and your business but do you know what insurance you must legally carry? What optional coverages should you consider that will best cover you?
Are you aware that you can purchase some additional coverages at reduced rates when they are purchased together with other policies? There may be a lot of things you are unaware of where truck insurance is concerned. OOSI will provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision.
For the owner-operator with his/her own authority, OOSI offers the following types of insurance:
- Primary Liability is insurance against loss from legal liability of the insured for bodily injury or property damage to another party. OOSI offers liability coverage that fulfills the legal obligations of those owner-operators with their own authority, or who are hauling exempt commodities. This coverage is required to activate your own authority. FMCSA requires $750,000 and most shippers and brokers require $1 million limits.
- Commercial General Liability protects your against liability claims for bodily injury and property damage arising out of premises, operations, products and completed operations as well as advertising and personal injury liability. General Liability can be purchased in conjunction with Primary Liability at substantial savings on your premium.
- Motor Truck Cargo insurance against loss from legal liability for damage to goods or merchandise in the insured’s care and custody in the ordinary course of transit and includes coverage for debris removal, earned freight and refrigeration breakdown. We offer a wide range of limits designed to meet your needs.
***Supplemental Towing & Cleanup also available when purchasing cargo insurance***
- Passenger Accident Coverage provides accidental death and dismemberment coverage and accidental medical expense coverage for authorized passengers, with no deductible and no minimum age limits.
- Physical Damage covers loss or damage to an insured vehicle caused by collision, fire, theft or vandalism on an actual cash value basis. Our coverage includes glass breakage, chip repair (glass) and downtime coverage with no additional premium to our members.**Combined Deductible: if both tractor and trailer are insured under the physical damage coverage and are involved in the same accident, only one deductible will apply (the highest deductible on the policy).
Optional Coverages sold in conjunction with Physical Damage:
- Additional or Optional Downtime Coverage – Extended protection for periods of downtime due to repairs following a covered physical damage claim. Limits of coverage available of up to $300 per day with a maximum of $18,000. (14-day waiting period will apply).
- Breakdown Coverage – If you’ve ever been caught stranded on the side of the interstate, you’ll know why breakdown coverage is important. It helps to pay for towing and labor in the event of those unforeseen predicaments that happen sometimes. Travel with the confidence that comes with OOSI’s breakdown coverage.
- Personal Property – Protection of personal property carried in your truck that is not covered under any other insurance policy. We offer a variety of limits ranging from $2,000 to $5,000 so you can choose the amount of coverage that you require. Each limit is subject to a deductible.
- Limited Depreciation Coverage – If you have a new current model tractor, you stand to be hit with a lot of depreciation during your first couple of years of ownership. This coverage virtually eliminates depreciation on your new, current model tractor.
- Gap Coverage – Provides protection for the difference between your loan payoff and the market value in the event of a total loss by collision. This coverage is available for both tractors and trailers.
- Supplemental Towing and Clean-Up – Provides towing needs from the scene of a covered loss and cleanup to help with the cost of removal of debris and cleaning of the immediate vicinity of an accident following a covered loss (subject to limit of coverage purchased).
- Rental Reimbursement – Provides reimbursement for a rental vehicle to replace your vehicle while it is inoperable due to a covered loss under the physical damage policy. Maximum coverage available is up to $300 per day, per covered vehicle with a maximum during any one policy period of $9,000. Also available for losses covered under OOSI’s roadside breakdown coverage.
- Trailer Interchange – If your shipper or motor carrier requires you to be responsible for damage to any non-owned undescribed trailers pulled by your vehicle, you’ll need to add trailer interchange to your policy.